Tagged: Basement

Staircarpet and Cellar x

IMG_8789

I finally grasped my courage with both hands and, bored of lifting boxes,  fitted the stair carpet down to the new cellar.

IMG_8778

Taking things seriously, I invested £40 in a heavy duty staple and nail gun (I’m hoping there will be options for more uses…like the main stairs).  It worked really well – you have to use two hands which just means reduced chance of accidents.  The only downside was I initially bought the wrong staples – even if the packaging/name looks the same, read the small numbers on the staple box carefully, otherwise it’s a return journey to the DIY shop to buy the right ones. I used 12 mm staples.

IMG_8779

I also ordered some carpet grip from Ebay (the sort of stuff you lay under rugs to stop them from slipping).  The thought process was that I wasn’t worried about slippage from laying the pile in the wrong way, as there was no pile, but I was aware that kilim is a thinner type of rug and wanted to give it some support regarding pulling from the staples and feet.

IMG_8781

Then it was the simple matter of laying a piece of underlay with carpet grip and stapling it into place.

IMG_8782

For the carpet, I pencilled off on each stair where the carpet should run centrally (7 cm on each side for me).  Then the lines in the design were a big bonus, helping to keep everything straight and on track.

IMG_8784

Finally it was the simple matter of stapling under the nose of the riser, in the middle and at either end.  And again where the step meets the riser and working down. The last bit of kilim was folded up, tucked under and stapled away. Job done.

IMG_8785

The cellar itself has changed considerably as boxes have been unpacked.

IMG_8786 IMG_8787

It’s now probably one of the most relaxing places in the house..time takes on a new dimension here..if only I could hide it away from the kids…

 

Laters, Kate x

Progress x

IMG_1502

It’s the painful part of the cellar renovation…painting all the bookcases.  Probably more so than usual because they started off black…and they’re going..off black.  The reason is the shelving is an Ikea Billy hack – using basic Ikea units to look more than the sum of their parts – and that requires a layer of camouflage paint.

IMG_1501

At least I have the TV to keep me company.

IMG_1498

But it’s still slow progress.

IMG_1504

The hunt has been on for the perfect pink for the stair wall.

IMG_1505

And I think I’ve found it via the felt our tap came wrapped in.

Now to get it colour matched..

Laters, Kate x