Oh the joys of packing…
This an old post, but so apt for today when once again I’m knee deep in suitcases: The children may have changed, but the problems haven’t!
When the kids were babies I soon realised that to avoid the crying of souls (mine) I needed to be excruciatingly anal about packing, particularly as it’s not and never will be an art form that comes naturally to my psyche. The truth be told:
1. I hate it.
2. Even the impending thought of it gives me brain-swell.
3. I am a self-proclaimed light-packer. Until I pack.
4. I could just take cut off shorts, a white t-shirt and flip-flops..but why suffer clothes envy if you can avoid it?
5. How DO you take the minimum clothes for the maximum occasions?
6. I’m continually haunted by the idea it’s all wrong anyway.
7. There’s a profound anguish that the weather is undoubtably going to go through an unprecedented solar flux and be the opposite of what I’m reasonably expecting. Even though it never happens.
8. Will it really be hot/cold at the equator/in the mountains because it’s not hot/cold here (delete as appropriate).
9. How can I pack the stuff I’m wearing now?
10. What do people mean when they ‘throw a few things in’?
11. How do I know I won’t be invited to tea with the Queen or Beyonce or Karl Lagerfeld?
12. Why do I always have the most cases? I packed light..
13. And why do they never shut?
Burnt too many times, I learnt to make furtive lists on the computer in the hope that nothing vital in my then sleep-deprived-likely-to-find-hairbrush-in-fridge-state like nappies, nappy sacks, first aid kit, tranquillisers..would be disastrously and time/happiness sappingnly forgotten and there could be hope yet for my marriage.
Those days are (almost) gone, but the discipline has proved invaluable and certain rules still stand:
1. Start packing 5 days in advance and wear tea towels if necessary.
2. For a week or more pack 5 sets of underwear plus 3 of each for the rest (t-shirts, shorts etc)
3. Summer holiday for me…just dresses, the ultimate capsule wardrobe…beach dresses..other dresses..end of.
Now I just have to learn to take my own advice…
Laters, Kate xxx
wear tea towels, love it!
I too despise packing. Not looking forward to packing for Jack next month.
Kate, you sound exactly like my mum when it comes to packing for holiday!😆